Silvia Chocarro Marcesse is a consultant on freedom of expression and media development issues for international organizations and NGOs. She is currently consulting for IFEX and the Center for International Media Assistance (CIMA). From 2013 to 2017 she was the US Correspondent for Radio France Internationale (RFI) – Spanish Service –where she covered the latest US elections. From 2009 to 2013, she worked at UNESCO where she participated in the development of the UN Plan of Action on The Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity. This work was the basis for her PhD dissertation entitled The Promotion of the Safety of Journalists: the Role of the United Nations from 1945 to 2014. After obtaining her PhD in 2016, she has continued to write about journalist safety, for example for the CFOM blog. In a career that has spanned more than 15 years, Silvia has managed media development projects; has worked as a freelance journalist in Spain, Mexico and the Balkans and has been a guest lecturer and a trainer. Silvia is also the editor of Women in the Communication World: Voices and Insights from Women (Icaria Editorial, 2007) and has contributed to nearly a dozen publications.
Latest CFOM Updates
- STATE CAPTURE OF PUBLIC MEDIA: THE CASE OF “WIADOMOŚCI” (THE NEWS), POLISH PUBLIC TELEVISION MAIN DAILY NEWSCAST – PowerPoint Presentation August 9, 2019
- “Why has the EU become a more hostile environment for journalists?” July 30, 2019
- Media Capture in Italy by violence and intimidation July 22, 2019
- Media Capture in Italy by violence and intimidation – PowerPoint Presentation July 22, 2019
- State capture of public media: the case of “Wiadomości” (the News), Polish public television main daily newscast July 18, 2019